Registration Resources

  Timetable Planner and Tip Sheets:

 Using the links below, select your Timetable Planner and a Program Tip Sheet.  All other hand-outs are optional depending on your situation.




 Program Specific Tip Sheet (pdf):

Download the appropriate tip sheet based on your program.  If you are in the BSc General degree please choose according to your major:

  • Medical Sciences (Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Immunology & Infection, Neuroscience, Physiology, Pharmacology)

 Other Resources 


Frequently Asked Questions: 

  • I am trying to register in courses but they are full. What do I do?
    Course availability will continue to change over the summer months as students change their schedules. In some cases, departments may open additional sections to meet demand. You will want to add yourself to the Watch List (if available for the course) on Bear Tracks for any courses that you are interested in enrolling in. By adding yourself to the Watch List, Bear Tracks will email you once a space becomes available in that course. Additionally, seats will become available in many courses in mid-August after the Confirmation Deposit Deadline, as all students who did not pay this deposit will be dropped from their courses. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that all students will get every course they want at the time they were hoping for as demand is very high. In some cases, you may need to choose another course, such as an Arts or Science option.
  • I can’t get into a class via Bear Tracks, I get an error message?

    First off, read the message that will inform you of the reason you are unable to enroll in the class. If that doesn’t help then:

    • check the listed pre/co-requisites
    • check to see if it’s restricted to a specific Major/Minor, if you’re “Undeclared”, then you’ll want to declare your Major/Minor with your home faculty
    • check with Department offering the course for any Priority Restrictions (ie: date for when the enrollment is opened up to all students instead of specific groups/cohorts of students (ex: 4th years or XXX Majors)
      • if a class has a black box with the letter “L” inside of it, that means there’s a delayed registration date for the majority of students, you can contact the Department to find out what the delayed registration date is.
  • I want to waive a prerequisite so I can get into a senior class, how do I do that?
    Do not register for a course if you do not have the prerequisite. You risk getting a poor grade and you will not receive credit for the course if you do not have the prerequisites completed prior to registration.
  • I have questions about Lectures/Labs/Seminars for various classes?
    Speak with the teaching Department that controls that lecture/lab/seminar, they will have more information for you.
  • What courses should I enroll in?
    Students in the Faculty of Science may not take more than *42 units of course weight at the junior level (100-level). Any junior credits in excess of *42 units of course weight will be declared extra to your BSc degree. Junior courses can be taken in any year of the program.
  • What courses should I enroll in?
    Any course offered by the Faculty of Science is a science option.  NOTE, courses offered by ALES are not science options (ie: Plant Science, or PL SC, is NOT a Science option, it would be considered an outside option).
    Science options: Courses offered by the Faculty of Science - includes additional courses in your Major and Science Minor.
    Arts options: Courses offered by the Faculty of Arts, these are a diverse range of courses within Humanities, Social Sciences, Fine Arts and Language courses. The ENGL requirements for JR core also count towards Arts options. 
    Outside options: Courses not offered by the Faculty of Science or Arts
  • What courses should I enroll in?

    Check your degree requirements on the left hand side of the page.

    REMEMBER: You need to follow the requirements from the year you were admitted. Current and previous calendars can be found here, Also, please pay special attention to when you entered the General program as the requirements are different for those admitted prior to 2014.


    • Review the degree requirements for your program.
    • Evaluate where you are. Look at the requirements for your major/minor.
    • By your second or third year you should be making good progress in fulfilling those courses, particularly at the 200 or 300 levels.
    • If you have not declared your major or minor, simply go to SCIForms
    • If there is one area you particularly like, find out more about what programs are available in specialization/honors/specific area.
  • I've been here three years, but I can't get into a class that says it is available to 3rd year students.

    “Year 1/2/3/4” are not based on physical years spent at the University of Alberta, it’s determined based on successfully completed credits:

    0 to 30 credits = “Year 1”

    31 to 60 credits = “Year 2”

    61 to  90 credits = “Year 3”

    91 to 120+ credits = “Year 4”

  • Does ANAT (Anatomy) courses count as Biological Sciences courses in the Faculty of Science?
    No, ANAT courses are offered by the Division of Anatomy in the Faculty of Medicine and, as such, do not qualify as a Science or Biological Sciences courses in the Faculty of Science. ANAT courses are considered to be Outside Options in the BSc General program. In each BSc General degree there is room for up to 12 units of course weight of Non-Arts, Non-Science (Outside) Options. ANAT courses may be used as options in a BSc Specialization or Honors program, so long as they are approved by the appropriate Specialization or Honors advisor.
  • How many classes should I take each term?
    That depends on the program to which you have been admitted. Each program has a course load requirement that you must follow. Refer to the calendar first, to find the minimum course load you are required to take. For example, students in our Honors Neuroscience, Honors Biochemistry, Honors Physiology, Honors Pharmacology and Honors Psychology programs must take 30 credits in each fall/winter (5 courses each term).

    General Science students do not have course load requirements and can take up to 5 courses per term.

    NOTE: Some scholarships, awards or loans require you to carry a specific course load. Keep this in mind when registering for courses.
  • How many courses should I take to be a full-time student?
    A course load less than *9 (less than 3 courses) is classified as part time. A course load of *9 or more (3 courses or more) is classified as full time.
  • Do I have to take English in my first year?
    The requirement is to complete 6 credits in English (ENGL or WRS courses) by the time you graduate. You do not have to take both of your English courses in the first year, some students choose to get them out of the way in first year, but other options are to take them in Spring/Summer or in future years. As long as they are completed by the time you graduate. 
  • How do I meet my English Jr Core Requirement?

    You can meet this by completing *6 from the following

    ENGL 102, ENGL 103 or ENGL 125.  

    WRS 101 or WRS 102 (max *3 in WRS)

    Note: The ENGL requirements for JR core also count towards the Arts option total.