Core Research Facilities
The Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry has centralized research facilities to provide access to major pieces of equipment and technical expertise. These facilities allow our researchers access to essential scientific infrastructure at a reasonable cost that would otherwise be cost prohibitive. These facilities include:
The faculty also supports cores that provide repair, maintenance and fabrication services:
- Repair of lab equipment, fumehoods and biosafety cabinets; calibration of pipetteman
- Projects made to sketch: metal & acrylic fabrication, woodworking, welding and machining
Autoclave Repair Core
- Repair and maintenance of autoclaves and glasswash-ups
Some Institutes and Departments also run core facilities, for example:
- Li Ka Shing Institute of Virology (LKSIoV) run an RNAi facility
- Women’s and Children’s Health Research Institute (WCHRI)
- Alberta Diabetes Institute (ADI)
- Departments of
Starting point for searching FoMD’s facilities and centres is in this inventory report in which people self identified their own services and capabilities: inventory and preclinical inventory.
2018 FoMD Infrastructure & Equipment Survey (Closed)
In early 2018, the Office of Research developed a survey to allow the research community to comment on FoMD core facilities and other equipment and infrastructure resources available in the faculty, the U of A, and external. For the purposes of this survey, a focus was placed on equipment and infrastructure resources related to Pillar 1 (biomedical) research. The overall goal of the survey was to gain a better understanding of the current needs of the community, identify potential areas of growth, and inform strategic direction. The survey was designed by Dr. Wendy Magee and Colleen Sunderland, with input from Drs. David Evans and Tom Hobman. The anonymous survey was open for responses from January 19 to March 8, 2018. We thank all that took the time to complete the survey and provide their input. If you have any further questions or would like to provide additional feedback, please contact Dr. Wendy Magee or Colleen Sunderland.
The Office of Research has created a research resource database housed within the Faculty Administration Resource Manager (FARM). This database provides a simple way to search for specialized scientific and laboratory equipment found in core facilities or individual research labs. Please note that the use of equipment in labs is at the discretion and approval of the faculty member.
Access the database:
- Login to FARM (Note: if you are a member of the FoMD and do not have access, email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate you would like access to the resource search)
- Click on the Research tab
- Select Resource Search
- You can search by generic or trade equipment name, company name, and filter by a specific core/facility.
To submit equipment to the database or provide feedback, please contact Colleen Sunderland (780) 248-1023.
For additional information please contact:
Dr. Wendy Magee
Director, Core Research Facilities