Residents of the Royal College may choose to complete rural and regional rotation. These may be as short as four weeks, or as long as 20 weeks. The length of the rotation will be dependent on the preceptor’s availability.
These steps will help co-ordinate a rotation:
- Once you decide to complete a rural rotation, contact the appropriate program administrator to advise them of your interest in undertaking a rural rotation.
- Notify the Office of Rural & Regional Health (ORRH) at least 90 days prior to the start date. This is to ensure ORRH has sufficient time to notify all parties of the rotation.
- Following the rotation, students are required to complete evaluations of the rotation, the preceptor, the site the accommodation. Financial reimbursements will not be considered unless evaluations have been submitted.
- Application for financial reimbursement must be made a maximum of 90 days from the last day of the rotation. Reimbursements will not be considered after this period. Forms are available online and need to be submitted with original receipts (where applicable) to the ORRH for approval and processing.
Procedure to Change or Cancel a Rural Rotation
- All changes or cancellations of rural rotations must be approved by the program director and the director of rural and regional health.
- Only changes approved in writing by the program director and director of rural and regional health will be considered.
- All notices of a change or cancellation must be made in writing.
- Residents must provide their written notice to the ORRH at least eight weeks prior to the scheduled start date.
- ORRH will notify all parties involved if there is a change or rotation.