What is the HSIILC?
The proposed HSIILC is a collaboration between the:
- School of Public Health
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Agriculture, Life, and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
- Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Campus Saint-Jean
- Augustana Campus
- University of Alberta Libraries
- Alberta Health Services.
The objectives of the proposed HSIILC is to create meaningful and sustainable space within a University of Alberta library (Health Sciences) to:
- Foster and encourage greater collaboration, build and strengthen trust between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples;
- Foster greater inclusion and belonging among Indigenous peoples at the University of Alberta;
- Build capacity and knowledge among existing and future health professionals regarding
the value of Indigenous healing practices in the treatment of Indigenous peoples;
- Build respectful and welcoming learning environments that promote dialogue, sharing
best practices, and provide exposure about the realities, histories, cultures, and beliefs of First Nation, Inuit, and Metis peoples in Canada.
- Ensure access to, and awareness of, culturally appropriate library resources and services related to health, healing and wellness.
I want to contribute to shaping the future direction of the HSIILC. How can I be involved?
We want to hear from you!
HSIILC partners have scheduled 8 Engagement Sessions throughout February to April 2019. These sessions are free to attend, open to students, staff, faculty, and members of the Indigenous community on/off campus, as well as anyone else interested in sharing their perspectives. The dates/locations of the 8 Engagement sessions are as follows:
Session dates and locations:
- Tuesday February 26, 2019: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Location: CAB 239)
- Friday March 1, 2019: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Location: ED 315 )
- Monday March 11, 2019: 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Location: ED 254)
- Tuesday March 19, 2019: 11:30 a.m to 1:30 p.m. (Location: Salle Silencieuse de la biblioteque Saint-Jean, 1-12a) *Faculte Saint-Jean Campus
- Wednesday March 27, 2019: 12 noon to 1:30 p.m. (Location: ED 254)
- Tuesday April 2, 2019: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Location ED 315)
- Thursday April 4, 2019: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Location ED 315)
- Thursday April 11, 2019: 12:00 noon to 1:30 p.m. (Location: Augustana Campus - Wahkohtowin Lodge)
To register, please visit our Eventbrite to select a date that works best for you.
What kind of feedback are HSIILC Partners looking for?
Engagement sessions will focus on gathering broad feedback on space planning (i.e. What will the space look like? What design elements need/should be incorporated? What aspects will be critical to the effective and meaningful use of this space?); resource planning (i.e. What are your community’s learning and information needs in respect of Indigenous peoples? *The term ‘community’ can be understood as the work/faculty or student unit within/across the university campus or community-of-origin); and principles (i.e. What principles guide and inform the HSIILC in meeting the stated objectives?)
I have a few more questions, who can I talk to?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to arrange a meeting/call.