Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Program Requirements

Applying to the Graduate Program

  • Is there an application fee?
    Yes, there is an application fee of $100 (CDN) that is non-refundable.
  • Can my application fee be waived?
    We are not able to waive application fees. However, we have limited funds to pay the application fee of exceptional students. If you would like to be considered for this award, scan your transcript onto your GAPS file. Please note if you pay the application fee, it cannot be refunded.
  • When can I expect a decision on my application?
    Many decisions will be made in late February but the decision process will go on until April.

Tuition and Financial Support

  • How much should I expect to pay for tuition?

    Tuition is based on the type of program—thesis or course based—and whether you are registered full-time or part-time­. See FGSR's tuition and cost of living estimates.

    For further detail, there is also a breakdown of how fees are calculated.

  • Is there financial aid? How do I apply?

    Yes, there is financial aid for thesis-based* students, most typically offered as a teaching assistantship. You do not have to make a special application for financial aid. The graduate application asks if you need financial aid, so an application for admission is also an application for financial aid.

    *Course-based students are self-funded.

  • What about scholarships that don't involve teaching assistantships?
    There are a number of entrance scholarships that we automatically nominate excellent applicants for. Canadian students are encouraged to apply for NSERC graduate scholarships, and there are other scholarships that we help our students obtain once they are here. For Canadian students, your home department can probably assist you in finding out what kind of federal or provincial scholarship opportunities there are for you in Canada. Students from other countries are encouraged to explore these opportunities as well in their home country.

Graduate Studies

Student Life

  • Is there a Computing Science Graduate Students Association?

    Yes, there is an active Computing Science Graduate Students' Association (CSGSA). Please visit the CSGSA website for information on upcoming events, forums, general information and much more.

    There is also a Graduate Students' Association (GSA) which carries out events involving all the graduate students at the University of Alberta. Please visit their website for information on events and activities that take place throughout the year.

    There are several other student groups at the University of Alberta affiliated with the Students' Union. Explore these student groups for information on their interests and activities.

  • What is Edmonton like?

    Edmonton is a vibrant city. In the summer, there are nearly non-stop festivals: the Jazz Festival, the Folk Music Festival (top-rated world wide), the Fringe Theatre Festival (also top-rated world wide), Capital Ex (carnival, parades, and miscellaneous fun), Heritage Days (international festival) and many more.

    The river valley provides 100's of kilometers for hiking, biking, jogging, and cross-country skiing. If you are a runner, there are very active running clubs; there are marathons and races throughout the summer. There are lakes and provincial parks nearby. There is an active rowing club. Whatever sport or recreational activity you want to do, you'll be able to do it here, and also learn new ones!

    In the winter, there are plays, concerts (Edmonton is on the rock concert circuit), symphonies, jazz clubs, sports bars, music & dance clubs (rock, alternative, blues, country). You name it, you'll find it here.

    Edmonton is only 3.5 hours away from the resorts of Jasper, Banff, and the Canadian Rockies, places that people worldwide dream of visiting on vacation! Spending a few years of your life near these places is a real treat, and gives you constant access to world-class downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, hiking, and ice climbing.

  • I'd be a foreign student in Canada. Is it likely there will be anyone else there from my country?
    Canada in general and the University of Alberta in particular is a multi-cultural place. There are students from all over the globe studying at the U of A, and there is a very active International Student Centre. This centre helps students from outside Canada in feeling at home here in Edmonton. Whether you come from China, Croatia, or anywhere in-between, you will be able to make connections with other people from your part of the world.
  • Where can I get information about housing?
    Visit University Residence Services for information on campus residences. Or, if you prefer, the Students' Union Housing Registry is a great place to look for rental properties in Edmonton.